Tuesday 25 July 2006

Stephanie Pearl McPhee

This post is dedicated to SPM because she is wicked. I am rereading her "At knit's end" which is a fantastic book. Every page bring more truth, humour and knitting reality. For example...

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" (Einstein)

Under this SPM has written a wonderful paragraph about hiding your stash around the house. So true.

Actually in trying to find bits to quote you basically have to copy out the whole page in order to get it to make sense. This is because it is worthy writing rather than some little soundbite thing. Every page makes me laugh. So I have ordered her other two books! In fact I've had a bit of an amazon blitz and ordered vogue shawls to go too. It's that one on the cover - it fascinates me.

I'm finding it really hard to concentrate this evening. The trip to Ikea last night (got a new wool box) only ended at about 11.15 and I didn't sleep well because of the heat. Plus I'm on my second of three potential episodes of murder she wrote - now I remember why I don't have sky. It just wouldn't be safe. It melts the brain. And its so fricking hot! OK, I give in I try not to complain about it being hot because I hate being cold so much but ENOUGH!!!! Jesus H Christ on a bicycle, as my mother has been known to say.

I have seen the photos from the jump on sunday and have one on order so should be able to share it soon. Note to self - sort this out.

I was in bristol today for a meeting and did some shopping for my SP and also my mini sister who is going to be a massive 18 in 2 weeks. I don't know how she got so old (SO old, oh yeah) so quickly. AND she is such a looker, must take after me fnah fnah. But peeps, would anyone out there over 28 and 3 weeks know what rhcp meant if you received it in a text as a birthday present request - wait for it..........
......
.............
red hot chilli peppers. Took me three days. Geez. I'm getting old.

I distinctly recall thinking of loads of pithy things to write here when I was on the air conditioned train but they've melted out of my ears.

Yeah, so. Um. Bye.

5 comments:

annarella said...

The book sounds really catptivating, I want one!... just checked my Amazon wish list, yep it was already there :)

My baby sister turned 18 in March and I still haven't come to terms with it. She's now got a driving licence (I don't!) and is starting Uni in September... even whilst I type this I can't help but think how surreal it all is... she is a BABY, for crying out loud, what's she doing acting like an adult?!


PS: I had no idea what the text meant, and trust me, it would have taken me a lot longer than 3 days to work that out! ;)

xx

Celeste said...

Ooh I must still be "in with the kids" I'm 28 and 51 weeks and knew straight away what "rhcp" was.
I don't think I've listened to anything by them since I was 18 though :)

Angie said...

That is a fabulous book ,just wonderful.Yarn Harlot is just so down to earth ,un-pretentious and funny she has shot to my hero spot numero uno.

Iris said...

I have got to read that book at some point... It's been on my to-read list for ages now, but I never seem to get round to it!

In reply to the post you left on my blog re. the one-yard-fabric-swap - I was thinking about a) making it a cotton-only swap to keep the fabrics somewhat compatible and comparable, and b) what is sent really ought to be something the sender would also be happy to receive, which basically rules out any nasty nylon (or so I hope... ;-) ). I was thinking along the lines of 1 yard of fabric plus the lovely little personal touches everyone tends to include in their SP parcels, with a spending range of around $15-20 max.

If I end up going ahead with the swap I will specify the rules a bit more clearly. I would like to keep it relatively small, which should also make sure that it remains personal and nobody ends up with some parcel totally lacking in love...

Iris
x

Daisy said...

Nope, I didn't know what it meant, and I'm 26 and quite-a-few-weeks!