We interrupt this blog for.....SECRET PAL!!!
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I have been knitting a lot for babies recently (other people’s) so am doing everything in superwash/machine washable wool. I do prefer yarns to be machine washable but at the same time I appreciate the delicacy of silk or something special. I’m like everyone in that I don’t like scratchy acrylics, but have nothing against soft ones. What I am really into at the moment is cotton or wool with long colour changes.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I like sewing so have made a storage case for my straights as well as another for my circs. I’ve also got a denise storage case – I love my denises! Other than that they are to be found around the house in mugs, pen pots and jars. One thing though – I HATE dpn’s. Never use them.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve known how to knit for about 25 years but only got seriously into it about 8 years ago. I’d say I’m an intermediate – advanced knitter. I can do most things but have yet to try steeking – I consider this to be the holy grail of knitting! I’m an intermediate crocheter too.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent?
I don’t wear perfume and am allergic to lavender, but I do like things like vanilla, cocoa and honey. Sweet smells!
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Does the pope poo in the woods? I am a chocolate addict. Milk or plain – too much cocoa and it starts tasting too healthy. Also strawberry and raspberry flavoured sweets. Australian Cherry Ripes are my all time favourite choc bar.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I can spin but I don’t. I prefer to focus on knitting. I also sew, both with a machine and by hand. I do a little freehand embroidery.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I have an ipod so am fine with mp3’s. I like hip hop but mainly listen to audio books. Always detectives and preferably classic ones. Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, Margery Allingham etc.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Love red, orange, purple and yellow. “Smoky Aubergine” is the colour that best suits me. I also have a weakness for anything with polka dots on. Red with white dots is my favourite. I dislike neons and pastels.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am married to a computer geek called Pooch – 2nd anniversary on 2nd August. Ironically he is allergic to dogs and cats. I loooooove cats but sadly a husband is for life, not just for Christmas, (maybe) so I can’t have one.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes, yes, yes and no.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I knit a tonne of socks. I always have a couple of pairs on the go. But I also like jumpers, fairisle, intarsia, felted bags…all sorts really.
13. What are you knitting right now?
On the needles… wedding present afghan, 2 pairs of socks, baby blanket, fairisle jumper for mum (in planning stage), buttercup top for me.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
They both have their time and place. Just no dpn’s.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Years and years. Don’t make me think about it.
18. What is your favorite holiday? What winter holiday do you observe?
I love Christmas! I’m not religious though.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Buttons. I am crazy about buttons. Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones. Love ‘em.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I subscribe to Interweave and Knitters. Also ‘The Knitter’ in the UK. I like Norah Gauguin and have her ‘Knitting Nature’ book but none of the smaller ones. Don’t buy them new though! But if you found a second hand copy or something like that I’d love it. I love sixties and seventies patterns too and have quite a collection.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I’ve tried most things.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I certainly am. I take a UK 7 shoe (European 40) and have average ankles etc in that commercial sock patterns fit me.
23. When is your birthday?
4th July! Seriously!
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
I am littlelixie.