Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Patchwork By Machine and Hand

The cover for my Japanese sewing machine ( a borrowed Janome) was quite pale and mellow.
Sewing Machine cover
I left that one with the machine so when my new Singer arrived I needed to whip up something new. I have been quite affected by the beige-y neutralness of the temporary flat so, with our boxes having arrived from the UK, I unearthed a pack of 20 Kaffe Fassett charm squares I'd had for a while.
Front
The 20 squares were only enough for the top and front so for the sides I used "Dysfunctional Family" by Michael Miller.
Side - dysfunctional family fabric
For the back I used a similar black and white print, although it is about sewing!
Back
There's a great thought bubble near the bottom:
"Look at the way she's dressed. She must be throwing Harry's money around."
Except of course it turns out she made her dress herself. Tsk!

My machine came with an embroidery foot so I decided to try a bit of machine embroidery again.
Detail of machone embroidered pebble pattern
Pebbles have always been my favourite pattern so a stream of them go across the top and down the front. I also tried some writing on the top.
Top
Not great but a useful bit of practice.

While digging around in the storage unit I found the quilt I started aaaaaaaages ago for my Mum. All the pieces - hexagons and diamonds - are ready so now it is a case of laying them out and sewing them together. I've started at the bottom which is just hexagons, and this is the biggest bit so far.
Blue Hexagon Patchwork
The challenge is going to be deciding the layout of the rest. There must easily be 50 different fabrics involved with low value neutrals as well as blues so I'll need to go back to my original drawings and see if I can work out what should go where.


1 comment:

cucki said...

Wow so beautiful xxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails