Friday 17 February 2006

Off again

I think it was on Monday I went back to getting emails from UKHK and I've already left again. It's just such a bummer as I've been saying to people already, I do really like the community aspect. But if I was going to a knitting group that had people like that at it I'd stop going. I'm not blaming any individuals but I've had enough, especially so soon after the angel yarns fiasco.

So I thought instead I'd do a quick run down of a few of my favourite suppliers:
  • Dianne's Knitting Yarns. Don't be put off by the slight naffness of the site itself. It's worth digging into. My personal fave is james C brett marble and I *need* some of it in the two new colourways but am holding off til after SkipNorth. It may be 100% acrylic but it feels lovely. I have a cardi in the pink/green colourway and have made baby clothes in some of the others.
  • Woolly Workshop. Surely one of the all time classics. And in a great part simply because the owner Gill is just such a nice woman. I got my denise needles there and they have kept me in cherry tree hill recently (yes I still like it even though it is going through some sort of fading period).
  • Get Knitted. Equally, a classic supplier. A pleasure to deal with.
  • Beads Needs UK. An ebay shop. Lovely owner. Lovely beads.
  • Japanese Craft books. Have just ordered my third from her. Yes, they are all in japanese but everything is done in pictures so while you're missing out on some commentary you can still make the things. And they are gorgeous. Look at the felt mascot books. Also does knitting and crochet ones.
  • Carol's Patchwork and Quilting Shop. Can't get her ebay shop to come up but this is a list of all her stuff and her shop is linked at the top of the page. This is where my floral patchwork pieces have been coming from. Great quality and fast service. Again a lovely lady.

I think that's enough to have tempted you all with!

6 comments:

rachel said...

Can I second those first 3? I've dealt with them all on a number of occasions and it's always been a positive experience. I hope you all have a great time at Skipnorth, lack of ready cash prevents me from coming this time, I just hope it'll be such a success that there wil be another one!

Nic said...

I use Get Knitted but not tried the others yet ;o) Thanks for the links.
I agree, I like the idea of UKHK but why can't people just agree to disagree and things get so heated? I have it on digest at the mo but to be honest there are so many more messages that I'm not interested in than the ones that I am, I'm tempted to leave the group..
Nic
x

susoolu said...

I don't blame you at all for leaving UKHK again - it has been unbelievably tedious for quite a while.
Thanks for the shopping suggestions - always good to know of good places to spend money. Have fun skipping North (I really do have an image of knitters, holding hands, skipping up the M1).

Flossie in Stitches said...

UKHK has gone horribly crazy hasn't it. I'm really tempted to leave too. Think I'll try ans stick it out for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

I use Get Knitted and would recommend them to everyone. There service is fantastic. I tend to order all my yarn from them now. I would also recomment Laughing Hens, who wrap everything is pink/purlpe tissue, it's such a treat to receive a package from them.

Alice said...

another Get Knitted fan

I just joined UKHK... and left soon after. but that's partly as I'm not a huge elist fan (prefur blogs as medium) - try the Live Journal communities, they're (on the most part) great, and there are loads, britknits, punkknits, advanced knit...

RoxyK said...

I've been on no-mail for months now and don't miss it a bit I'm afraid. I'm on a couple of on-topic lists that I'm happy with which are much more my thing.

All the rows used to drive me nuts!