Saturday 30 May 2015

Exploring Treasure Island

The Treasure Island Flea Market is a well known event here in SF and this weekend was the fourth anniversary one. I had been meaning to go since we arrived here so thought today was as good a time as any. Slightly better in fact - Pooch rather over exerted himself the previous night and was groaning in bed and there's only so long that remains amusing for.
treasure island google map
Treasure Island is in the middle of the two halves of the Bay Bridge and a has a smattering of houses but during the last weekend of the month people and cars flock in in their thousands just for the Flea. The emphasis is on handmade things and twentieth century schmatter.
Mannequin Heads
Letterpress Letters
Hanging Air Plants
Vintage Frames
As well as the stalls there was a big food truck area with about twenty different trucks.
Food Court
My creation
There was a lovely view while I scoffed down my whateveritwas.
San Francisco
Then back into the fray.
My creation
One of the things that did tempt me was a Virgin Mark bust.
Busts of Virgin Mary
But I was slightly put off when I realised that that is an ornate leather gun holster they are arranged among. Plus I didn't get "a feeling of joy" when I picked each one up - something not attributed to holy-poly but more to "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying-Up" which I have been listening to recently as an audio book. Very interesting stuff. The only things that did come back with me, which I do find very joyful, were some little succulents from this stall.
Succulents

I have some crafty updates to share tomorrow and also some big news that will seriously curtail my crafting time. So I had better go and get on with it while I can!


No comments: