Saturday 7 November 2015

Sew Simple Saturday #2

Linking up with the Sew and Sow Farm's Sew Simple Saturday.

When it comes to simple, fabric precuts like jelly rolls make it a no brainer. Last month I was wowed by a quilt on another blogger's site and knew I had to give it a go. A bit of googling and waiting for it to arrive and I had a Gradations jelly roll.
Gradations Jelly Roll
I was using the Prism pattern by Nancy Rink. I was fairly amazed to find this wasn't a download but an actual paper pattern - I feel she's missing a trick there - so another week [snore] later I was ready to go.

Without needing to trim the strips at all you just sew them together along their lengths.
Gradations Jelly Roll Strips

From there it was a matter of cutting some triangles and then sewing them together.
Gradations Jelly Roll Quilt

Sewing triangles together isn't quite as simple as sewing straight strips so I am still half way through this but it is going well. As it has progressed I've realised it's not really to my taste so I'll probably donate it to the Guild's outreach project, but I'm glad I tried it out!


2 comments:

jan said...

Hi Alex,
I have a jelly roll like that and haven't decided what to use it for. I like that pattern but I wonder what it would look like with sashing between the rows from top to bottom. And then a border? I have a niece that would probably love it! Thank you for the idea. And thanks for linking up! xo jan

Farm Quilter said...

Love that jelly roll - those fabrics are fabulous!! I think that the fabrics become a bit muddled when all together like the triangles are - a small black sashing between the triangles would delineate the triangles and really make the fabrics sing! I really like this pattern and I have some ombre fabrics I just might have to try this with!